These deliciously crispy brussels sprouts are made with only 3 main ingredients! They are the ultimate side dish the whole family is sure to love. This recipe has the cleanest ingredients like olive oil, fresh parmesan, and tasty Angelic Bakehouse crisps – made with freshly pressed, sprouted grains.
In my humble opinion, crispy brussels sprouts are the only type of brussels sprout. I’m talking crunchy, just south of burnt, with golden edges, CRISPY brussels sprouts. If you’ve ever mentioned brussels sprouts to the baby boomer generation (hi parents 🖐), they typically respond in disgust with wrinkled noses and say they will never eat a brussels sprout again. Well, that’s probably because they grew up on boiled brussels sprouts lightly dusted with salt and pepper. Umm…no, just no. Thankfully we have found the key that is oven-baked crispy brussels sprouts and baby, we’re bringing them back like never before!
So now that we know we need to bake our brussels sprouts in the oven, here are a few other tips to achieve that crispiness factor we love:
Don’t be afraid to crank the oven up. We call these baked brussels sprouts but we need a higher heat than 350 F. I like to cook mine at 400 F which cooks the brussels sprout (too high of a temp and they won’t cook before the edges burn), but it also gives the leaves and the edges a nice golden brown suntan
Coat liberally with liquid, whatever that may be. In this recipe, we use olive oil which is my personal favorite. The oil allows the brussels sprouts to really caramelize around the edges and you can add in other dry ingredients if you want to jazz things up (more on that in a bit). Typically, I wash my brussels sprouts right before I cook them so there is still a little moisture on them as well
Get creative! One of the reasons so many people cringe at the thought of a brussels sprout is because they’ve only had bland versions. Mix in some shredded cheese or breadcrumbs OR some ahh-mazing sprouted grained crisps I’m about to tell ya about
We use Angelic Bakehouse’s new crisps to really level up these baked brussels sprouts. These crisps are made with freshly pressed sprouted grains, making them a health-ier version over breadcrumbs. They also come in a variety of flavors like Harissa Green Chile & Sweet Potato, Fig & Tarragon Vinaigrette, and Pickled Sweet Onion & Beet so you can mix things up easily! The ingredient list is short and sweet and contains things you can actually understand. We crush up the crisps in this recipe so they act like a breadcrumb only wayyy better.
* If you don’t want to use a food processor, place the crisps in a zip lock bag and crush them up with the palms of your hands
**It’s a good idea to check on the brussels sprouts after about 8 minutes. Give the pan a little shake in the oven to move the brussel sprouts around and bake until desired crispiness
- 1/2 cup Angelic Bakehouse Harissa Green Chile & Sweet Potato Crisps
- 2 cups brussels sprouts
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese of choice (use dairy-free if desired!)
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Wash brussels sprouts and trip the bottoms, removing any leaves that are thin or fall off, and place in a mixing bowl
- Add olive oil to brussels sprouts, mix until coated, and set aside
- Place Angelic Bakehouse Crisps in food processor and pulse until the fine*
- Sprinkle the processed crisps over the brussels sprouts with the cheese and mix well
- Place brussels sprouts on a baking sheet, ensuring the brussels sprouts are in one layer and not on top of each other, and bake for 12 – 15 minutes until crispy**