Quick & Easy Meal Prep Italian Chicken Salad on sprouted grain bread perfect for weekday lunches! Simple ingredients, dairy free and packed with fiber & protein.
Whatever your health and fitness goals might be this month, having simple go-to meal prep recipes are always a good thing to have heading into the week. Batch prepping a few staple foods like sweet potatoes, roasted veggies and protein dishes like this chicken salad has become a Sunday habit and SAVES so much time for hectic schedules. I actually make a version of this chicken salad weekly for weekday lunches and can’t get enough.
The entire recipe is dairy-free, high in quality protein, healthy fats, and fiber! I’ll share more details below.
EASY MEAL PREP TIPS
Sprouted Bread: These sandwiches taste best if the bread is toasted! Simply do this the night before you’re packing your lunch or when ready to eat!
Sprouted Bread Substitutes: For these babies, I used one of my favorite sprouted bread brands, Angelic Bakehouse 7 Grains. They also have sprouted tortillas and crisps! You can make it a wrap or throw the chicken on top of greens and use the crisps to dip or as croutons. So delish!
Shredded Chicken: I recommend getting an organic rotisserie chicken from the store so you don’t have to spend extra time cooking! I get mine from Whole Foods, Sprouts or most markets carry them!
Batch Prep Method: At the beginning of the week, prep the chicken salad by tossing all the ingredients and store in an airtight container in the fridge. When packing your lunch the next day, assemble some onto the sprouted bread, slice and store in the fridge!
Avocado: I personally love adding sliced avocado to this or smashing a little on a slice of the bread! It pairs so well and adds some great monounsaturated fatty acids which may help reduce inflammation, absorb nutrients and keep you sustained!
- Storage: Keep chicken salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. When ready to use, toast bead and make sandwiches! Sandwiches can be made ahead of time as well and placed in the fridge for lunch the next day.
- If not using sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, extra olive oil may be needed for the recipe.
- Angelic Bakehouse 7-Grain Bread
- 12 oz. cooked & shredded rotisserie chicken breast (about 2–3 cups)
- ½ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes, packed in olive oil
- ½ cup sliced kalamata olives (or olive tapenade)
- 2 tsp. Extra virgin olive oil*
- Handful of fresh basil, chopped
- Juice from 2 lemons
- Sea salt + pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Adjust seasonings as needed, add more lemon, sea salt or basil if necessary.
- Toast 1-2 slices of bread per serving and serve with optional avocado!