This bread pudding is the definition of wickedly wholesome! We used decadent dark chocolate and 2% milk when we created this recipe, making it sinful and heavenly all at the same time.
Consider this dessert recipe a delicious base for your sweet experiments. Add a tablespoon of liqueur to the sauce (we like orange and coffee flavors) or add two bananas and a handful of chopped walnuts to the bowl when you mix the bread cubes with the batter to make a chunky monkey treat.
- 8 7-Sprouted Whole Grain Burger Buns, cubed
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the dish
- 3 large eggs plus 3 egg yolks
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 6 oz dark chocolate, chips or chopped
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp milk or liqueur
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Toss the hamburger buns with the melted butter on a baking sheet. Arrange in a single layer and bake until toasted, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, egg yolks, milk, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla and salt in a large bowl. Gently pour toasted hamburger bun cubes into the egg mixture and combine. Pour into prepared baking dish and top with 4 oz. dark chocolate.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, top with the 2 oz chocolate and bake until the bread pudding is puffed, golden brown and set, 15 to 20 more minutes. Let sit 15 minutes.
- To make the sauce, stir the butter, chocolate and milk or liquor over medium low heat in a small saucepan until melted and shiny.
- Serve the bread pudding with the chocolate sauce.