Indulge without guilt during the holiday season with our sprouted, whole-grain, low-calorie stuffing made with our allergen-friendly, Reduced Sodium Sprouted 7-Grain Bread. If healthful stuffing is what you’re looking for, this is it! By incorporating simple substitutions like using fat-free chicken broth instead of regular chicken broth and by using our low-calorie bread, you can go ahead and ask for seconds! The best part about this recipe? It tastes great!
- 8 slices of Angelic Bakehouse Reduced Sodium Sprouted 7-Grain Bread
- 1½ cups fat-free chicken broth (can substitute vegetable)
- 1½ cup chopped onion
- 1½ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup granny smith apples (finely chopped with skin on)
- ⅓ cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh sage
- 2 tbsp. light butter
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Start by drying out your bread. You can either do this by toasting in the oven, or by leaving the bread sit out at room temperature overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- In a medium pot, combine chicken broth, onions, celery, apples, butter, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and sage.
- Cook for about 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Mean while, break up your bread into small ½” pieces by chopping or just breaking apart with your hands. Put bread into a large oven safe dish.
- When broth mixture is ready, slowly pour onto bread, making sure to cover all the pieces.
- Next, mix in the egg substitute and make sure to cover all pieces. If bread cubes do not seem wet enough (they should be moist, but not saturated), add a tbsp or two of warm water until appropriate texture is reached. Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Cover dish with foil and transfer to over.
- Cook for about 25 minutes.
- Then, take out stuffing, mix it around and fluff it a bit and put back in the oven, uncovered for about another 15 minutes. Enjoy!