Recipe by Jenn Laughlin @peasandcrayons
This tasty vegan buffalo chickpea sandwich is ready to step up your sandwich game! This plant-based powerhouse features a zesty mashed chickpea salad and enough veggies to make your mama happy.
- Angelic Bakehouse® Sprouted Whole Grain 7-Grain Bread
- Leafy greens (we love arugula)
- Buffalo chickpea salad (recipe below)
- Red cabbage or thinly sliced red onion
- 15 oz canned chickpeas (drained + rinsed)
- 3 stalks green onion
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers
- 1/4-1/3 cup plain hummus
- 2 TBSP “red hot” style hot sauce plus extra to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas and add them to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher and/or fork until texture appears flaked, almost like tuna salad. To make things even easier, break out the food processor and pulse a few times to coarsely mince chickpeas
- .Next chop your green onion, celery, and shredded carrots. If you’re not using pre-shredded carrots you can grate them using a box grater then chop into little pieces)
- Remove the stem of the jalapeños and cut in half. Scrape out the seeded center of each half. Feel free to add some of the seeds back in for a spicier sandwich
- Add to the bowl with your chickpeas and veggies, then season with red hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Add hummus (plus any extra to taste) and stir well to coat.
- Lightly toast your Angelic Bakehouse Sprouted 7-Grain Bread or simply leave fluffy if preferred. Add sandwich spread of choice and top with buffalo chickpea salad.
- If topping your sandwich with red onion, just slice it super thin and pile it on. If using red cabbage or slaw mix, your can lightly dress it with a little oil and vinegar and season to taste.
- Add leafy greens, cabbage or red onion, and any extra veggies your heart desires. Enjoy!